A few days ago, we introduced a bunch of different ways to say “Hello” in Chinese. Naturally, today we’re going to look at a few different words that can be used to say “Goodbye.”
A simple video on how to say goodbye in Chinese.
Here are ten Chinese goodbyes, with English, Chinese characters, and pinyin transliteration:
Here are some tips for using these:
- The most common way to say goodbye in Chinese is definitely 再见.
- 拜拜 is a casual goodbye that is usually used with friends/on the phone. It’s definitely a Chinese version of the English “Bye bye.”
- If you plan on seeing someone again soon, you can use both 回头见 and 一会儿见.
- I often use 下次见 with my students. Since we just see each other at class time, saying “See you next time” is a good way to say goodbye.
- You’ll often hear 慢走 when leaving a restaurant. It makes sense, seeing as how you’ll already be walking slow thanks to all the food you ate and beer you drank.
- Both 一路平安 and 一路顺风 are ways to say goodbye to someone when they’re going away on a vacation or something. I expect to hear this a lot this fall when I head out of Beijing to travel SE Asia for a few months.
In case you missed it, this is a video I made about Chinese Greetings.
Well there you go… you’re now equipped with over 25 ways to say “Hello” and “Goodbye” in Chinese. You should be able to greet any person in any situation once you’ve got all those down. Don’t forget you can always learn a new Chinese word every day with us!