Posted on 20. Aug, 2014 by meaghan in Language Learning
We language lovers need to stick together, because once the language bug bites, nobody understands your struggles (or your triumphs!) quite like the language-learning community. Here are 10 situations that only your language loving friends will truly understand. Have you experienced any of these situations?
1. When you procrastinate studying a language… by studying another one.
Because there’s no rest for the wicked, or for the language lovers.
2. When you encounter people having a conversation in a foreign language, you stalk them covertly until you can figure out what it is.
You’re not doing anything wrong… unless you get caught.
3. When people discover you speak another language and they ask you to “just say something”.
Love it or hate it, you better think of something clever to teach these people.
4. When you’ve spent so long studying languages that you can no longer recall a word in your native language.
Better start carrying around a pocket dictionary… in your native language.
5. When someone asks you why you’re learning that language, as if it’s impossible just to learn a language for fun.
Tired of the language haters? Send them this!
6. When someone uses the “everyone speaks English” argument.
There will never be enough hands to perform an adequate facepalm in response to that statement.
7. When people talk about you in a foreign language assuming you don’t speak it… but you do.
You know what they say about people who assume…
8. When you begin parler en multiple idiomas at the same tiempo.
Learning sign language may come in handy for those times when your tongue is too twisted.
9. When you recognize all of the individual words in the sentence you’re reading, but put together they make no sense.
Whatever you do, do NOT rely on Google Translate in these situations.
10. When all you can think about is which language you’ll learn next, even though you can’t keep up with the languages you’ve already learned.
Because really, once you pop, the fun don’t stop!
Some language learner problems are quite the laugh, but others, not so much! Having trouble fitting a language into your routine? Our eBooks are full of expert tips to help you overcome these less-than-laughable problems.
10 Ways to Make More Time for Language Learning
15 Habits of Successful Language Learners