In the aftermath of the recent Bangkok bombing, Thailand’s tourism numbers have (unsurprisingly) been slipping significantly. After such a tragedy, it’s understandable why people are worried about traveling to the country. One need not look far back in history to find plenty of other examples – the bombings in London and Bali in the early aughts come to mind. The thing about terrorism, though, is that it only works if you allow yourself to be terrorized. Something incredibly terrible happened in Bangkok – there’s no denying that. However, nothing has happened in the aftermath of the original bombings (one was failed), and police in Thailand are working diligently to find the suspects and maintain security. After all, tourism is the lifeblood of Thailand’s economy, and it’s clear that the perpetrators of this heinous crime were trying to damage it. Don’t let the bad guys win, folks. Here are 20 reasons why you should still travel to Thailand:
1. Bangkok is still one of the greatest cities in the world you can visit.
2. Long-tail boats and karst mountain peaks.
3. The fun-loving Thai people will put a smile on your face, guaranteed.
4. Visit some of the most stunning Buddhist temples in the world.
5. Koh Tao is one of the best (and cheapest) places to get scuba certified.
6. World class diving awaits once you get your open water certificate.
7. Thai cuisine is famous around the world, and for good reason.
8. Visit what is quite possibly the best food court ever.
9. Go for a tuk-tuk ride.
10. Spend a day or even weeks with the country’s national animal – elephants.
11. Be in awe of the miraculous White Temple.
12. Tackle the 1,864 curves of the Mae Hong Son loop on a motorbike.
13. Fall in love with the beautiful, mountainous town of Pai.
14. See a Buddha image in a tree.
15. Amazing rock-climbing at places like Tonsai.
16. Explore the ruins of an ancient Thai kingdom at Sukhothai.
17. Get a Thai beach all to yourself at Koh Tarutao NP.
18. Cocktails come in buckets here.
19. Ladyboy cabaret shows are freakin’ awesome.
20. Views like this will make you start planning your next trip before this one’s even finished.
I could go on and on with reasons why you should still visit Thailand, but hopefully these are enough to at least make you realize that canceling your flight is a terrible idea. Don’t live your life in fear – that’s exactly what the people who committed this awful crime want you to do. People get shot and killed every day in New York City. Is that going to stop you from going there? Fatal car accidents happen all the time. Is that going to stop you from getting in your car to drive to work? I didn’t think so. Thailand is waiting, and they’re more than ready to welcome in tourists who don’t cave to terrorism.