Superstition in India Posted by Nitin Kumar on Oct 26, 2013 in Hindi Language
Superstition (अन्धविश्वास – Andhvishvas) could be seen and heard all over the world, and India is no different. Let me show you some of the superstitions that many people believe in India.
- It is believe that you may face disappoint if a black cat crosses your way, while you are leaving for an important ask.
- It is good if you taste yoghurt before leaving for something important like examination.
- It is considered bad if you cut your nails at evening.
- You should not clean your house in evening with broom.
- Getting your hair cut on Saturday is not considered good and believe to bring you bad luck.
- Starting something important on Monday is considered good.
- Killing of any animals especially cats or snake is considered to bring bad omen.
- Eating meat on Tuesday is not considered good by many people.
- Many shop owners also don’t open on Monday or Tuesday.
- If someone gift you something in a box/utensil and you must return the box/utensil, the same should never be returned empty. You should offer something like snacks while returning it.
- Watering plants in the evening is also considered bad by many people.
- Bath must be taken immediately after coming back from someone cremation.
- Turning off an oil lamp or candle should be done so by air from blowing hands and not though mouth or whistling air.
- Books should not be touched with feet, it shows disrespect.
- When you purchase some appliances etc, some water drops must be sprayed on it as it is been received on the main door.
- A coconut is broken to inaugurate a building or a company.
- Many traditional shops hang lemon with green chili on the main gate in order to fend off evil spirit.
- Many people hangs black mask of demon in front of their houses to keep evil spirit away.
- Many people believe in astrology. They ask about horoscope data and take advise to solve their problem with some rituals or wearing rings, necklace and so on.
- Many people believe that religious idols (Lord Shiva, Jesus Christ, etc) can manifest their will by drinking milk, crying blood tears etc.
- It is believed that you should not use a broken mirror, else it may bring you bad luck.
- Hanging used horseshoe over house door will bring you prosperity and wealth.
Build vocabulary, practice pronunciation, and more with Transparent Language Online. Available anytime, anywhere, on any device.