Fisal’s Dictionary : أ د ب Posted by Fisal on Apr 8, 2011 in Arabic Language, Culture, Grammar, Pronunciation, Vocabulary
Today, we are going to go on a journey to the depths of an Arabic Dictionary to discover some of its secrets. We will look up the root verb أدب and explore some of its derivatives.
* أَدَبَ v. [T.] = (1) to invite people to food; e.g.. أَدَبَ محمدٌ القومَ
* أَدْبْ n. [U.] = the act of inviting people to food; e.g. أَدَبَ محمدٌ القومَ أَدْبْاً
* المَأْدُبَةُ n. [C.] = food made for an invitation; e.g. صنعَ محمدٌ مأدبةً شهيةً
* آدِبُ n. . [C.] = the person who prepares and invites for a مأدبة
* أَدَبَ v. [T.] = (2) to collect people or gather them around something.
* أَدَبَ v. [T.] = (3) to well-breed someone / to raise someone on good manners;
e.g. أَدَبَنى والدي على الأخلاق
* أَدَّبَ v. [T.] = to teach someone good manners / or / to punish someone for a bad behavior.
* تَأدَّبَ v. [I;T] = (بـِ ) to follow someone’s good example; e.g. تأدب محمدٌ بأدبِ القرآن
* مُؤَدَّبٌ adj. = polite / well-educated; e.g. محمدٌ ولدٌ مُؤدّبٌ
* المُؤَدِّبُ n. [C.] = teacher / instructor / educator / person hired or chosen to educate someone.
* التَأديبُ n. [U.] = التهذيب = education / teaching rules or good manners or literature
* مَجلسُ التأديب = a special court for questioning and punishing government employees
* أَدُبَ v. [I.] = (1) to stick to good manners; to be polite;
(2) to be good at arts and literature, e.g. أَدُبَ محمدٌ
* أَدِيبٌ n [C.] = a person who is good at literature (author/writer … etc.); e.g. محفوظ أديبٌ مشهور
* أُدَباءٌ n.pl. = plural of أديب
* الأَدَبُ n. [C.] = literature / qualities needed for a career like that of a judge or an author;
e.g. الأدب العربي
* الآدَابْ n. pl. = plural of الأدب
* الآدَابُ العامةُ = Traditions / Accepted behavior / Ethics of research.
* أدَبِيّ adj. = literary / not materialistic; e.g. النقد الأدبي = Literary criticism.
* قيمة أدبية n. = said when you praise someone for his/her literary knowledge;
e.g. كان محفوظ قيمةً أدبيةً كبيرة
For listening to the pronunciation of this word family, visit and subscribe to our Transparent Arabic Channel on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/user/ArabicTransparent
Check us back soon
Peace سلام /Salam/
Build vocabulary, practice pronunciation, and more with Transparent Language Online. Available anytime, anywhere, on any device.