Indian Recipes – Aloo Baingan Posted by Nitin Kumar on Jul 28, 2016 in Hindi Language
Aloo Baingan is a very popular and easy vegetarian north Indian dish. In this dish, the eggplants/brinjal (बैंगन – Baingan) sare used and are cooked with potatoes, onion, turmeric, green, garam masala and red chilies .
So what are you waiting for, let’s make this delicious dish at home.
Recipe Servings : 5
Recipe Cook Time : 40 min (Cook time: 25 minutes and preparation time is 15 minutes)
1 kg of eggplants / brinjals
5-6 potatoes, with each potato cut in 8 pieces
2 tablespoon vegetable oil
2 medium onions (peeled and minced)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 cup water
1 teaspoon garam masala
1⁄2 teaspoon salt
1⁄2 lemon (juiced) or 2 teaspoon mango powder
2 teaspoon chili powder
- Wash eggplants/ brinjals and potatoes in water.
- Slice the eggplants into 4 pieces vertically and then slice in smaller pieces (approx. 1 inch)
- Slice the potatoes in medium size slices.
- Heat cooking oil in a large pan.
- Add onions and garlic and sauté over a medium heat until onions turn golden brown (4-5 minutes).
- Turn heat to medium-low.
- Add the coriander, cumin, and turmeric.
- Add salt, chili powder and stir for 30 seconds .
- Add the potatoes and eggplant and stir for 1 minute.
- Add 1 cup of water and stir for 20 seconds.
- Add the mango powder or lemon juice and garam masala powder.
- Cook covered for 20 minutes.
- Remove the cover.
- Optional: add the minced chili and ginger.
- Stir and cook uncovered for 30 seconds.
- Serve with boiled Basamati rice or naan or roti (round flat Indian breads).