LearnItalianwith Us!

Start Learning!

Italian Language Blog

Archive for March, 2011

Difesa dell’acqua pubblica e no al nucleare Posted by on Mar 31, 2011

Here is an interesting topical article taken from the Italian newspaper ‘La Repubblica’. It reflects both the Italian public’s preoccupation with environmental issues, and their lack of faith in the ability of politicians to move beyond their internal disputes, power games, and ‘bunga bunga’ parties, and actually do something constructive! It is estimated that between…

Continue reading

Rapporto sulla Salute dell’Italia – part 2 Posted by on Mar 27, 2011

WARNING, those of you who idealize the healthy Italian lifestyle and mythical Mediterranean diet may be disappointed! Adulti e bambini sempre più pesanti e grassi (Adults and children increasingly overweight) Every year in Italy about 50,000 deaths are related to obesity. Amongst adults 35.5% are overweight and 10% are obese, giving a total of 45.5%,…

Continue reading

Rapporto sulla Salute dell’Italia – part 1 Posted by on Mar 24, 2011

Tendenze demografiche (Demographic tendencies) In Italia, la popolazione residente (the resident population) is increasing. However, il tasso di fecondità (the birth rate) remains relatively stable, but below the 2.1 per couple which would guarantee a ricambio generazionale (renewal of the next generation). The current crescita demografica (demographic growth) is explained by immigration.  L’Italia continua ad…

Continue reading

Specchio di Primavera Posted by on Mar 21, 2011

Bentornata, Primavera! (Welcome back, Spring!) What better way to celebrate the official beginning of Spring than through the words of a great poet? Salvatore Quasimodo was born in Modica (Sicily) on the 20th of August 1901. After completing his engineering studies in Palermo, Quasimodo travelled around Italy following “il lavoro che dà da vivere” (the…

Continue reading

17 Marzo 1861 – 2011 Posted by on Mar 18, 2011

Yesterday, the 17th of March, we celebrated the 150th anniversary of the Unification of Italy with a national holiday. The history of the unification of Italy is long and complicated, but in a nutshell: The official birth of il Regno d’Italia (the Italian Kingdom) took place on the 17th of March 1861, and Vittorio Emanuele…

Continue reading

Older posts