Italian Language and Culture Quiz Posted by Geoff on Aug 28, 2017 in Uncategorized
Here’s a quiz that covers various aspects of Italian language and culture. You’ll be able to find all the answers in our articles or on the internet. If you can’t manage the whole quiz then choose the sections that you find easiest. Come on, don’t be shy, leave your answers in the comments section!
1. Which continent is named after an Italian explorer, and what is the explorer’s name?
2. Which country is named after an Italian explorer, and what is the explorer’s name?
3. A volt is a unit of electric potential, who is it named after?
4. Jeans are the world’s most popular style of trousers, which Italian city does their name come from?
What are the Italian equivalents of the following sayings?
1. Every cloud has a silver lining
2. To kill two birds with one stone
3. Easier said than done
4. Every once in a blue moon
Where do the following Italian dishes originate from?
3. Ragù alla bolognese
1. Which six countries/states does Italy share its borders with?
2. In which three European countries is Italian an official first language?
3. How many regions is Italy divided into?
4. Which are the three most famous active Italian volcanoes?
Translate the following shopping list into Italian
Aubergine (egg plant)
How do you say the following everyday phrases in Italian?
1. Pleased to meet you
2. Have a nice day
3. Think nothing of it!
4. See you later!
5. Do you fancy a nice coffee?
How do you say the following phrases in English?
1. Non c’è di che!
2. Oggi hanno messo acqua
3. Meglio non pensarci!
4. Ci penso io alla pulizia
5. Sei proprio rincoglionita, vero?
Complete the following Italian sentences:
a. Modal verbs
1. Yesterday, I had to go to Bologna = Ieri, ___ ___ andare a Bolgna
2. Last week I had to finish painting the house = La settimana scorsa, ___ ___ finire di imbiancare la casa
3. Can you manage to bring me that stepladder? = ___ ___ ___ a portarmi quella scaletta? (informal)
4. It was a steep climb, but in the end we managed it! = la salita era molta ripida, ma alla fine ___ ___ ___!
5. I thought you’d already fed the cat = Pensavo che ___ già dato da mangiare al gatto (informal)
6. If I’d known you were in I’d have come round = Se ___ ___ che eri a casa ___ ___ da te
We’ll publish the answers later this week.
Build vocabulary, practice pronunciation, and more with Transparent Language Online. Available anytime, anywhere, on any device.