Beat the Heat with Korean Neangmyeon Posted by Kyung-Hwa on Jul 18, 2018 in Vocabulary
Is there any special food that you eat to beat the heat in the summer? How about boosting your appetite with refreshing Korean style cold noodle, Neangmyeon?
What is 냉면 (Neangmyeon)?
냉면 (nyeangmyeon) is one of the noodle dishes of Korean cuisine: ‘냉 (neang) ’ means cold and ‘면 (myeon)’ means noodle. 냉면 is made with long and thin noodles and comes with slices of boiled beef, picked radishes, cucumber, Korean pear, and a boiled egg on top. You may add spicy mustard and vinegar to add personalized finishing touch to your 냉면.
Depending on your preference, you can indulge in varied types of 냉면. Many Korean people enjoy eating 냉면 throughout the year. Especially, after eating mouth-watering Korean BBQ, people like to finish up their meal with 냉면. However, 냉면 becomes one of the most sought-after foods during the hot summer months. Eating 냉면 is a great way to beat the heat during the summer. You can order this dish at a restaurant, and you also can buy prepackaged ones from a store and make your own bowl of 냉면 at home.
Types of 냉면 (Neangmyeon)
There are two basic styles of 냉면 for you to remember: 물냉면 (mool neangmyeon) and 비빔냉면 (bibim neangmyeon).
Although, you might notice various names of 냉면 to choose from the menu, generally, you will have a choice between 물냉면 (mool neangmyeon) or 비빔냉면 (bibim neangmyeon): you will often be asked this question, “Would you like 물냉면 or 비빔냉면?” They are both served cold, but:
- 냉면 (neangmyeon)
- 물냉면 (mool neangmyeon)is non-spicy 냉면, andnoodles are served in a chilled broth, usually made with beef or Kimchi.
- 비빔냉면 (bibim neangmyeon) is spicy 냉면, and noodles are served with spicy sauce on top.
Depending on the ingredients used for noodles or toppings, there are assorted versions of 냉면 that will please you. 냉면 noodles are long and thin, so don’t forget to ask your server to cut your noodles.
냉면 noodle is often made with flour and starch, however, you will also notice the following names depending on the ingredient used for noodles:
4. 녹차냉면 (nokcha neangmyeon) – its noodle is made from green tea.
5. 메밀냉면 (memil neangmyeon) – its noodle is made from buckwheat
6. 칡냉면 (chik neangmyeon) – its noodle is made from kudzu.
You will have an opportunity to enjoy one of the following 냉면 of your choice, depending on their origins, toppings, and types of broth.
7. 평양냉면 (pyongyang neangmyeon) – it is a North Korean style 물냉면 (mool neangmyeon). Noodles are made from buckwheat and usually served with cold beef or 동치미 김치 (Dongchimi Kimchi) broth. Interestingly, when South and North Korea held their summit in April, the North Korean leader, Kim, gifted pyongyang style 냉면 noodles to the South Korean President, Moon.
8. 함흥냉면 (hamheung neangmyeon) – it is a North Korean style 비빔냉면 (bibim neangmyeon). Its chewy noodles are usually made from potato or sweet potato starch and this 함흥냉면 is served with distinctive spicy dressing on top.
9. 김칫국냉면 (Kimchitgook neangmyeon) – its main ingredient is Kimchi and Kimchi broth.
10. 동치미냉면(Dongchimi neangmyeon) – its main ingredient is sliced radishes from 동치미 김치 (Dongchimi Kimchi) and its broth.
11. 회냉면 (hoe neangmyeon) – it is a type of 비빔냉면 (bibim neangmyeon) with marinated 회 (raw fish) on top.
12. 열무냉면 (yeolmoo neangmyeon) – its main ingredient is 열무 김치 (young radish Kimchi).
냉면 is one of the distinct noodle dishes in Korean cuisine. You can indulge yourself in 냉면 as a meal, enjoy after eating mouth-watering Korean BBQ, or eat to beat the summer heat.
감사합니다. (Thank you!)
Build vocabulary, practice pronunciation, and more with Transparent Language Online. Available anytime, anywhere, on any device.