Helpful informations about traveling to Poland Posted by on Sep 6, 2015 in Uncategorized

P5290054What do you need to know before you travel to Poland? You probably have done some research, possibly have family and friends there…But take a look at few things I thought may be important.

Poland is a party to the Schengen Agreement. U.S. citizens may enter Poland for up to 90 days for tourist or business purposes without a visa.  Your passport must be valid for at least three months beyond the period of stay. You will need sufficient funds and a return airline ticket.

Although EU regulations require that non-EU visitors obtain a stamp in their passport upon initial entry into a Schengen country, many borders are not staffed with officers to carry out this function. If you wish to ensure that your entry is properly documented, you may need to request a stamp at an official point of entry (My husband does it all the time, so he can “collect” his stamps). Under local law, travelers without a stamp in their passport may be questioned and asked to document the length of their stay in Schengen countries at the time of departure or at any point during their visit, and could face possible fines or other repercussions if unable to do so.

You will need a visa for stays longer than 90 days or to work or study in Poland. In such cases, you should apply for a visa at least one month in advance of traveling to Poland. Visit the website of thePolish Embassy in Washington, D.C. for the most current information on applying for a Polish visa.

When visiting Poland, please refer to the Embassy of Poland website for information on medical and financial requirements needed for entry. If you don’t have adequate financial resources, you may be denied entry to Poland. You should carry proof of sufficient medical insurance in case of an accident or hospitalization while in Poland. Medicare does not cover health costs incurred while abroad.

Similar to U.S. laws that require U.S. citizens to enter and exit on a valid U.S. passport, Poland also requires Polish citizens (including dual U.S.-Polish citizens or those with claims to Polish citizenship) to enter and depart Poland using a Polish passport. If you are a U.S. citizen and also a Polish citizen, or if you are unsure if you hold Polish citizenship, you should contact the nearest Polish consular office for further information.

Have fun traveling!

Keep learning Polish with us!

Build vocabulary, practice pronunciation, and more with Transparent Language Online. Available anytime, anywhere, on any device.

Try it Free Find it at your Library
Share this:
Pin it

About the Author: Kasia

My name is Kasia Scontsas. I grew near Lublin, Poland and moved to Warsaw to study International Business. I have passion for languages: any languages! Currently I live in New Hampshire. I enjoy skiing, kayaking, biking and paddle boarding. My husband speaks a little Polish, but our daughters are fluent in it! I wanted to make sure that they can communicate with their Polish relatives in our native language. Teaching them Polish since they were born was the best thing I could have given them! I have been writing about learning Polish language and culture for Transparent Language’s Polish Blog since 2010.