A Brief History of Brazilian Currency Posted by Rachel on Nov 13, 2008 in Economy
Today we’re going to look at the many changes Brazilian currency has undergone throughout history. To understand the difference in value of each currency, see here. Until recently, the Brazilian economy was quite unstable and inflation was often quite high, and as a result the currency changed many times. You’ll note that some of the currencies were used for less than a year!
- Réis: used during the Portuguese empire and the new Republic, until 1942
- Cruzeiro: used from 1942-1967
- Cruzeiro novo: used from 1967-1970
- Cruzeiro: used again from 1970-1986
- Cruzado: used from 1986-1989
- Cruzado novo: used from 1989-1990
- Cruzeiro: used yet again from 1990-1993
- Cruzeiro real: used from 1993-1994
- Real: began use in 1994, still used today
Build vocabulary, practice pronunciation, and more with Transparent Language Online. Available anytime, anywhere, on any device.