Palak Paneer is a very popular and easy vegetarian north Indian dish. In this dish, spinach, Indian cottage cheese, onion, tomatoes, ginger, green and and coriander etc are used. Palak (पालक) is spinach and Paneer (पनीर) is Indian cottage cheese.
So what are you waiting for, let’s make this delicious dish at home.
Recipe Servings : 3
Recipe Cook Time : 40 min (Cook time: 30 minutes and preparation time is 10 minutes)
1 heaped cup Indian cottage (Paneer) cheese cubes (150 grams)
2 cups spinach (Palak) tightly packed (100 grams)
2 to 3 green chilies without seeds
¾ cup onions paste
½ cup tomatoes puree
¼ tsp dried fenugreek leaves (Kasuri Methi)
½ tsp coriander powder (optional)
¼ tsp cumin powder
¼ to ½ tsp garam masala
1 tsp garlic paste or ginger garlic paste
1 inch cinnamon stick
2 green cardamoms
⅛ tsp cumin (Jeera)
Oil or butter as needed
Salt as per taste
- Heat oil in a large pan.
- Add paneer cubes sauté over a medium heat until they turn golden brown (4-5 minutes).
- Keep the fried paneer cubes aside and now add green chilies, spinach and fry for just 2 to 3 mins on a medium heat. Spinach must wilt off thoroughly. Do not overcook. Set aside to cool.
- Grind spinach with green chilies to a smooth puree.
- Heat a pan with oil, add cinnamon, cardamoms, cloves and cumin, when they begin to splutter Add onions and fry till they turn transparent.
- Add ginger garlic paste and fry until the raw smell goes away.
- Add tomatoes and salt, fry till they turn mushy.
- Add dried fenugreek leaves, garam masala and coriander or cumin powder. Saute until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
- Pour half cup water and stir. Cook until the mixture thickens.
- Simmer the flame, add the pureed spinach. Mix well.
- Add paneer and mix.
- Serve palak paneer with naan, roti (Indian bread) or rice.