Chicken tikka masala (चिकन टिक्का मसाला) recipe has grilled chicken pieces in tomato puree sauteed with onions and other spices, and garnished with fresh green coriander. It is a very famous non-vegeterian Indian dish which is usually served with rice or Naan (bread from tandori oven).
Let me show you how to make this delicious dish at home.
Chicken Tikka Masala
Recipe Servings : 4 – 6
Recipe Cook Time : 30 Minutes + Marination time
Chicken Tikka Masala (Picture via Flickr by Michael Hays)
Part A: Ingredients for making Chicken Tikka (Roasted chicken pieces)
2 lbs. boneless chicken breast, cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 cup fresh yogurt (greek yogurt is prefered)
3 tsp minced ginger
3 tsp crushed peeled garlic
1/4 tsp white pepper
1/4 tsp cumin powder
1/4 tsp mace
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp green cardamom powder
1/4 tsp red chili powder
1/4 tsp turmeric powder
3 tbsp fresh lemon juice
4 tbsp vegetable oil
Molten margarine or butter for basting
Part B: Ingredients for making sauce for Chichen Tikka Masala
5 oz. tomato paste
10 oz. tomato puree
2 lbs. tomatoes, finely chopped
2 tsp ginger paste
2 tsp garlic paste
2 tsp green chilies
1 tbsp red chili powder
2 tsp cloves
8 green cardamoms
3 tbsp butter
2/3 cup cream
1 tsp fenugreek
2 tsp ginger, grated or julienned
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste
2 tbsp chopped green coriander leaves to garnish
1. Put all ingredients in Part A together in a large bowl and whisk. Let it marinate overnight in the refrigerator.
2. Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/ Gas Mark 4. Bake marinated chicken pieces for 10 minutes, basting with margarine or butter twice. Drain excess marinade and bake for another 2-5 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, make the sauce for the chicken tikka masala in Part B. Deseed and finely chop green chilies. Put tomatoes, tomato paste and tomato puree in a pot or pan and add approximately 4-1/4 cups of water.
4. Add ginger and garlic paste, green chilies, red chili powder, cloves, cardamoms, and salt. Cook over low heat until reduced to a thick sauce. Strain through a strainer and bring to a boil. Add butter and cream. Stir.
5. If the sauce tastes sour, add sugar to taste. Add fenugreek and ginger juliennes, stir. Add roasted chicken pieces to the sauce. Garnish the dish with chopped green coriander. Serve with rice or Naan (a kind of flat bread prepared in tandoor oven)