Chole (छोले), a refreshing vegetarian white chickpeas culinary treat from North India. This simple recipe is an authentic Indian recipe (विधि – Vidhi) which is easy to make. This dish is very popular in North and usually served with fried Indian bread called Bhatura (भटूरा) or cooked basmati rice.
Let me show you how to make this delicious dish at home.
Recipe Servings : 4
Recipe Cook Time : 25 minutes
1 cup Kabuli Chana (White Chick Peas) , soaked overnight and drained
1 tea bag or 1 teaspoon of tea leaf tied in muslin cloth
1/2 tablespoons Cumin seeds (जीरा – Jeera)
1/2 cup Onion (प्याज – Pyaaz), finely chopped
2 tablespoons Garlic (लहसुन – Lehsun), finely chopped
2 tablespoons Chole Masala (छोले मसाला) powder
1 tablespoon dried mango powder (अमचूर – Amchur)
1/2 tablespoons Ginger (अदरक – Adarak), finely chopped
1 teaspoon Red Chilli (लाल मिर्च – Laal Mirch) Powder
1/4 teaspoon Turmeric (हल्दी – Haldi) Powder
2 teaspoons Coriander (धनिया – Dhaniya) Powder
2 tablespoons Oil or Ghee (घी – Clarified butter)
1 cup Water (पानी – Paani)
Salt (नमक – Namak) to taste
Optional 1 medium Tomatoes (टमाटर – Tamatar), roughly chopped
Optional fresh Cilantro or Coriander (धनिया – Dhaniya)
1. Combine the Kabuli Chane (singular, Chana), salt, tea bag and enough water in a pot and cook it for 20 min or if using a pressure cooker, pressure cook it for 3 whistles.
2. Allow the steam to escape before opening the lid. Now discard the tea bag and drain the kabuli chana.
3. Heat the oil in a deep pan and add the cumin seeds. Fry cumin seeds for 2 min in hot oil.
4. Now add the onions, ginger and garlic and salt on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minute or till the onions turn golden brown.
5. Add the chole masala powder, chilli powder, dried mango powder, turmeric powder, coriander powder, cumin seeds powder, salt and 1 cup of water, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 1 to 2 minutes. Stir occasionally.
6. Add the kabuli chana, mix well and cook on a medium flame for 5 to 10 minutes, while stirring occasionally. Mash the kabuli chana once lightly with a help of a masher.
7. Garnish with finely chopped fresh tomato and coriander or cilantro. Serve hot with Indian bread, Roti or Naan or fried Indian bread Bhatura which goes very well with Chole. You can also serve Chole with rice.