Celebrating Spring Festival in a Village Posted by sasha on Jan 27, 2017 in Culture
All around China, families are gathered together to celebrate the Spring Festival. There’s a massive feast, dragon dances, plenty of red envelopes, the CCTV New Year’s Gala, and more fireworks than you can imagine.
While we were living in Kunming, we had the pleasure of ringing in the Chinese New Year in our friend’s village of Xiaohe. Check out some highlights from our time celebrating Spring Festival in a Chinese village in this short video:
- Spring Festival (春节 – chūn jié)
- Xiaohe (小河 – xiǎo hé)
- New Year’s Eve dinner (年夜饭 – nián yè fàn)
- firecracker (鞭炮 – biān pào)
- fireworks (烟花 – yān huā)
- make New Year visits (拜年 – bài nián)
- nearby/next to (旁边 – páng biān)
- The men play cards. (男人打牌 – nán rén dǎ pái)
- The women chat. (女人聊天 – nǚ rén liáo tiān)
- drinking games (喝酒游戏 – hē jiǔ yóu xì)
- dance (跳舞 – tiào wǔ)
Build vocabulary, practice pronunciation, and more with Transparent Language Online. Available anytime, anywhere, on any device.