Greek history quiz Posted by Ourania on Mar 24, 2019 in Culture, Quizzes, Vocabulary
The 25th of March (Η εικοστή-πέμπτη Μαρτίου) is an important day for Greece. It is a national holiday and we celebrate the revolution against the Ottomans. In this post, there is a quiz related to the 25th of March and the Greek Revolution. Enjoy!
#1. Which was the first country that recognized the Greek Revolution (Ελληνική Επανάσταση)?
- Russia 3. Haiti (Αϊτή)
#2. Which poet participated in the Greek War of Independence?
- Victor Hugo
- Lord Byron
- Alexander Pushkin
- William Blake 2. Lord Byron (Λόρδος Βύρωνας) supported the Greeks and died in Missolonghi)
#3. The first king of Greece (ο πρώτος βασιλιάς της Ελλάδας) was:
- Russian 3. Όθωνας (Otto), a Bavarian prince was the first King of Greece.
#4. Which religious holiday is celebrated on the 25th of March?
- Saint George’s day
- The Greek Orthodox Easter
- Saint Catherine’s day
- The Annunciation 4. The Annunciation (Ευαγγελισμός της Θεοτόκου)
#5. If you visit a Greek tavern on the 25th of March and ask for the traditional dish served that day, you will get:
- fava and feta cheese (φάβα και τυρί φέτα)
- roast lamb (αρνί ψητό)
- fish soup (ψαρόσουπα)
- μπακαλιάρο και σκορδαλιά (cod with garlic dip) 4. μπακαριάρος και σκορδαλιά is the dish most Greeks have on the 25th of March.
#6. Which historic event inspired the Greek Revolution?
- The French Revolution
- The Russian Revolution
- The English Civil War
- The Mexican Civil War 1. The French Revolution (Γαλλική Επανάσταση) in 1789.
#7. The stripes on the Greek flag represent the nine-syllable motto of the Greek Revolution. Which is the motto?
- Δημοκρατία ή Θάνατος (Democracy or Death)
- Ελευθερία ή Θάνατος (Freedom or Death)
- Ελευθερία και Θρησκεία (Freedom and Religion)
- Δημοκρατία και Παιδεία (Democracy and Education) 2. Ελευθερία ή Θάνατος (Freedom or Death).
#8. Which one of the following regions was not part of the new independent country?
- The Ionian islands (Ιόνια νησιά)
- The Cyclades (Κυκλάδες)
- Evia (Εύβοια)
- The Peloponnese (Πελοπόννησος) 1. The Ionian islands (τα Ιόνια νησιά).
#9. Ioannis Kapodistrias (Ιωάννης Καποδίστριας), the first governor of Greece, had also helped in the reorganization of another country. Which country is this?
- Austria 3. Switzerland (Ελβετία)
#10. Which famous artist was inspired by the Greek Revolution?
- Asher Brown Durand
- Eugène Delacroix
- Joseph Latour 3.Eugène Delacroix.One of his most famous paintings is The Massacre at Chios.
#11. Who were the Janissaries (Γενίτσαροι) who fought against the Greeks?
- Young Albanians who fought against the Greeks.
- Greek revolutionists who had converted to Islam.
- Members of an Orthodox sect
- Soldiers of the Sultan who had been taken away by their Greek families when they were children. 4. The Janissaries were Greek children abducted by their parents.They converted to Islam and formed the Ottoman troops.
#12. Which of the following cities was once the capital of Greece (πρωτεύουσα της Ελλάδας)?
- Patras (Πάτρα)
- Nafplio (Ναύπλιο)
- Sparta (Σπάρτη)
- Ioannina (Ιωάννινα) 2. Nafplio was the capital of Greece before Athens.
Build vocabulary, practice pronunciation, and more with Transparent Language Online. Available anytime, anywhere, on any device.