Listening Comprehension Quiz: the Greek Easter Posted by Ourania on Apr 3, 2018 in Culture, Quizzes, Vocabulary
Γεια σας και καλό Πάσχα! This year the Orthodox Easter (Ορθόδοξο Πάσχα) is celebrated on the 8th of April. Every year, Easter becomes more and more commercialized. However, we still follow at least some basic customs. In this post, there is a video about the places which are famous for their unique customs, such as Corfu Κέρκυρα (Κέρκυρα), Chios (Χίος), Meteora (Μετέωρα), Zante (Ζάκυνθος), Leonidio (Λεωνίδιο) and Hydra (Ύδρα).There is also a listening comprehension exercise about Easter Sunday in Leonidio (Λεωνίδιο), a small city in Norht-Eastern Greece. It is suitable for upper-intermediate students, but the questions are not too difficult, so any student can give it a try! There is also a list of words provided.
#1. Διαβάστε το λεξιλόγιο (Read the vocabulary)
- έθιμα (το έθιμο): customs
- τα αερόστατα (το αερόστατο): hot-air balloon
- “Χριστός Ανέστη”: “Christ is risen!”: During the Greek Orthodox Easter service, at midnight, the priest announces that Christ is risen
- το ομοίωμα: model
- του Ιούδα (ο Ιούδας): Judas
- να προμηθευτεί (προμηθεύομαι): get
- οι ντόπιοι (ντόπιος): the locals
- οι καιρικές συνθήκες: weather conditions
- επικρατούν (επικρατώ): prevail
- της Ανάστασης (η Ανάσταση): the Rising of Christ (Ressurection)
- να συμβάλουν (συμβάλλω): to contribute
- η τέλεση:(here) the accomplishment or persecution of a rite or ritual.
- η τελετή: ceremony, rite
- τσακώνικη, τσακώνικο: the dialect spoken in the region of Τσακωνιά, in South-Eastern Peloponnese.
- Φουστανελοφόρους (ο Φουστανελοφόρος): men dressed in the traditional costume of Tsakonia.
- Τζουμπελούδες (η Τζουμπελού): women dressed in the traditional costume of Tsakonia.
#2. Δείτε το βίντεο από το 4:27-5:40 (Watch the video from 4:27-5:40)
28/4/2016, from the show Tatiana Live.
#3. Πείτε αν οι παρακάτω προτάσεις είναι σωστές (Σ) ή λάθος (Λ) (State whether the following sentences are true or false)
1. Όλα τα αερόστατα έχουν το ίδιο χρώμα.
2. Πρώτα καίγεται το ομοίωμα του Ιούδα και ύστερα πετάνε τα αερόστατα.
3. Ένας επισκέπτης μπορεί να έχει αερόστατο.
4. Όταν βρέχει, δεν πετάνε τα αερόστατα.
5. Κατά την τελετή της Αγάπης, διαβάζουν το Ευαγγέλιο στην τσακώνικη διάλεκτο.
6. Το γλυκό που σερβίρουν στο γλέντι είναι οι δίπλες.
7. Στην πλατεία, οι άντρες και οι γυναίκες χορεύουν με τα ρούχα που φοράνε κάθε μέρα.
You may find the transcription and the right answers here: Easter_Leonidio_Answer key
Build vocabulary, practice pronunciation, and more with Transparent Language Online. Available anytime, anywhere, on any device.
Thank you for the wonderful blog! I am using it to learn Greek, as I am married to one. 🙂
@Eileen Thank you for your comment, Eileen! I am glad you find the blog useful. Since you are married to a Greek, I believe you will progress fast 🙂
very cool video, I had a quick look yesterday; hopefully I’ll get to watch it in full today. Curious thing tho, for some reason I was trying to think of the language that is dying out in the Peloponnese and finally remembered it is Tsakonic and then I saw your post and thought wow!
Here is a link to the very first Greek language TV programme that I started learning from in the 90s, Its called Greek Language and People by the BBC, its a bit dated now but you might get a kick out of it.
Thanks for the continued superb blog posts.
@Neil Hi Neil,
I am glad this video is useful.
Thank you for sharing the link on youtube! I know this program, it is good but out of date. I like it though because it reminds me of my childhood, it’s a blast form the past 🙂
Please, do not stop being motivated and keep up the good work!
Im so glad it reminds you of your childhood…and makes me feel very old!!
I will definitely continue to keep motivated, it is my ultimate goal to be fluent but that goal might be a bit too fantastical.
αιέν αριστεύειν και υπείροχον έμμεναι άλλων
I spend a lot of time every year in a village near Leonidio so this video was great to see as I have never been there for Easter. Quiz was really helpful too.
@Rosemarie Although I originate from the region of Kynouria, I have never been to Leonidio for Easter either! It is very traditional.
I am glad you liked the video and the exercise 🙂