LearnKoreanwith Us!Start Learning!
What is your favorite sport to play or watch? Have you been watching the 21stFIFA World Cup that is happening in Russia now? If you have Korean friends or co-workers, you would quickly learn many Korean people enjoy watching sports and cheer on their teams together. This post is about how to ask someone’s preference of sports, a list of sports, and some soccer related words and phrases in Korean.
These are questions either you can ask someone or you will be asked by someone regarding your preference of sports:
The following sentences have the same meaning, “What kind of sports do you like?” in Korean:
1. [uh-tteon woon-dong-eul jo-ah-ha-se-yo] 어떤 운동을 좋아하세요? – polite
2. [uh-tteon woon-dong-eul jo-ah-hae] 어떤 운동을 좋아해? – informal
*Both “어떤 ” and “무슨 ” are frequently used by Koreans, and they are interchangeable.
3. [moo-seun woon-dong-eul jo-ah-ha-se-yo] 무슨 운동을 좋아하세요? – polite
4. [moo-seun woon-dong-eul jo-ah-hae] 무슨 운동을 좋아해? – informal
Korean people enjoy many different types of sports. The following is a list of sports that many Koreans enjoy playing or cheering for their teams and players:
5. [chook-goo] 축구 : soccer
6. [ya-goo] 야구 : baseball
7. [nong-goo] 농구 : basketball
8. [taek-kwon-do] 태권도 : Taekwondo
9. [kweon-too] 권투 : boxing
10. [ball-ling] 볼링 : bowling
11. [gol-peu] 골프 : golf
12. [te-ni-seu] 테니스 : tennis
13. [seu-ki] 스키 : skiing
14. [soo-young] 수영 : swimming
15. [bae-deu-min-teon] 배드민턴 : badminton
“축구(soccer)” is one of the most popular sports in Korea. During the current World cup matches, many Korean soccer fans will cheer for their national soccer team at homes or on the streets of Seoul. You will often hear them chanting“[dae~~han-min-gook] 대~~한민국 ” which means “the republic of Korea” followed by five claps.If you have an opportunity to watch a soccer game in Korean or talk about a game with your Korean friends or coworkers, the following list of words and phrases will be useful to you:
16. [seon-soo] 선수 : player
17. [chook-goo kyeong-gi] 축구 경기 : soccer game
18. [gol-ki-puh] 골키퍼 : goalkeeper
19. [sim-pan] 심판 : referee
20. [gam-dok] 감독 : coach/manager
21. [gong-eul cha-da] 공을 차다 : kick the ball
22. [gong-eul pae-seu-ha-da] 공을 패스하다 : pass the ball
23. [he-ding] 헤딩 : heading
24. [gong-eul nut-ta] 골을넣다 : make a goal
25. [deuk-jeom] 득점 : score
26. [i-gi-da] 이기다 : to win
27. [ji-da] 지다 : to lose
Sports can be a good topic for small talk in Korean. I hope you will enjoy watching World cup games and be able to use some of the words and phrases to talk about the Korean national team or whichever country that you are cheering for the game.
I hope you will find this post useful when you are engaged in a conversation with Korean speakers.
감사합니다. (Thank you!)
For more language learning advice, free resources, and information about how we can help you reach your language goals, select the most relevant newsletter(s) for you and sign up below.