Fisal’s Dictionary: “to pull” Posted by Fisal on Aug 29, 2012 in Arabic Language, Culture, Grammar, Vocabulary
Today, we are going to go on a journey to the depths of the Arabic Dictionary in order to discover some of its secrets. We will look up the root verb شــَـــدَّ and explore some of its derivatives.
* شـَــدَّ [V. I.T.]: 1- (something) = to become strong and firm.
Ex. – شــَـــدَّ مـُـحـمـدً = Mohamed became strong.
2- (عـلـيــه فـى الـحــرب) = to raid or attack fiercely.
Ex. – شـَــدَّ الجيشُ على الأعداءِ = The army attacked the enemies.
3- (عـلـى يــدهِ) = to support someone.
Ex. – شــّــدَّ والــدى عـلــى يـَــدِى = My father supported me.
4- (someone) = to fasten, grapple, bind or handcuff someone.
Ex. – شــَــدَّ الــجــُــنـــُــودُ الأســـرى
= The soldiers fastened (grappled) the captives.
5- (something) = to pull
Ex. – شــَــدَّ مـُــحــَــمَّــدٌ الــحــَــقــيــبــةَ الــثــَّــقــيــلــةَ
= Mohamed pulled the heavy bag.
6– (the knot الـعـُــقــدة or the rope الــحــَــبــْــلَ) = to make sure it is tight enough.
Ex. – شــَــدَّ مــُــحــَــمــَّــدً الــعــُــقــدَةَ / الـحـَــبــْـــلَ
= Mohamed made sure the knot/rope is tight.
7- (الــرِّحــَـــال) = packed and got ready for travel.
Ex. – شــَـــدَّ مــُــحـَــمـــَّـــدٌ رحــَــالـــَـــهُ
= Mohamed packed his luggage and got ready for travel.
* شــِــدِّة [N. C.U.] = 1- strength
2- difficulty or hardship; Pl. شــَــدائــِـــد
* شــَــادَّ [V. T.] = to get angry with someone or quarrel with him/her.
Ex. – شــَــادَّ جــُــون صــَــديــقــتــَــه
= John got angry with his girlfriend.
* مــَــشــَــادَّة [N. C.] = The act of getting angry with someone or quarrel.
Ex. – كـانــت هــُــنــاك مَــشــَــادَّةٌ بـيــنَ الـرَّاكــِــبُ و الـسـَّــائِــق
= There were a quarrel between the passenger and the driver. .
* اِشــْــتــَــدَّ [V.I.] = to increase, grow and get firm and/or strong.
Ex. – اِشــْــتــَــدَّتْ الـرِّيــَاحُ = The wind got stronger.
– اِشــْــتــَــدَّ جــِــذعُ الــنــَّــبــَـاتِ – The trunk of the plant grew.
* تــَــشــَــدَّدَ [V. I.] = to become fanatic or intolerant of or with someone or something.
Ex. – تــَــشــَــدَّدَ الــمــُــعــَــلــِّــمُ مع تــلامــيــذهِ
= The teacher was intolerant with his students.
* الــشــَّـــدَّة [N. C.] = 1- a campaign or a raid in war.
2- The diacritic( ّ ) similar to the sein س letter top.
* شــَــديــِــدٌ [Adj.] = 1- strong.
Ex. – هذا رجــُــلٌ شــديــدٌ = This is a strong man.
2- hard or difficult
Ex. – كــانَ الإمــتــحـــانُ شــديــداً = The exam was hard.
* شـِـدادٌ / أشـِــدَّاء [Adj.] = plural forms of the adjective شــديــد .
Ex. – هــؤلاءِ رجــالٌ شــِدادٌ / أشــِــدَّاءٌ
= These are strong men.
* مــِــشــَــدٌ [N. C.] = Something made of cloth that women wear tightly around their waist and abdomen to prevent it from being flabby, belt.
– (Note: N.=Noun /C.= Countable / U.= Uncountable / V.= Verb / Ph. V. = Phrasal Verb / Adj.= Adjective / Adv.= Adverb / Prep.=Preposition / Pl.= Plural)
– For listening to the pronunciation of this word family, visit and subscribe to our Transparent Arabic Channel on Youtube at http://www.youtube.com/user/ArabicTransparent
Check us back soon
Peace ســَــلام /Salam/
Build vocabulary, practice pronunciation, and more with Transparent Language Online. Available anytime, anywhere, on any device.