Fisal’s Dictionary: “to read” Posted by Fisal on Jan 28, 2012 in Arabic Language, Culture, Pronunciation, Vocabulary
Today, we are going to go on a journey to the depths of the Arabic Dictionary to discover some of its secrets. We will look up the root verb قرأ and explore some of its derivatives.
* قــَـرأ [V. T.] = to read.
Ex. – قــَـرأ محمدٌ الخطابَ = Mohammad read the letter.
* قــَــارئ [N. C.] = male reader; the male person who reads.
Ex. – هـُو قارئٌ جيدٌ للأحداث الجارية = He is a good reader to the current events.
* قــُـرَّاء [N. Pl.] = readers; plural of قارئ
* قارئون / قارئين [N. Pl.] = male readers; Plural of قارئ
* قارئِة [N. C.] = female reader; the female person who reads.
Ex. – هي قارئـِـةٌ جيدةٌ للأحداثِ الجارية = She is a good reader to the current events.
* قارئـِـات [N. Pl.] = female readers; Plural of قارئة
* قـِـرَاءَة [N. C.] = reading; the act of reading something.
Ex. –القراءة غذاءُ العقلِ = Reading is the food of the mind.
– يتعلم الأطفالُ القراءةَ في المدرسة = Children learn reading at school.
* قـِـراءات [N. Pl.] = readings; plural of reading. .
* أقــْـرَأ [V. T.] = to make someone read something.
Ex. – أقرأ المُعلم الأولادَ القرآنَ = The teacher made the boys read the Qur’an.
* مـُـقـرئ [N. C.] = the person who reads or teaches people to read (e.g. the Qur’an)
* القــُـرآن [N. U.] = word of Allah; speech or verses revealed by Allah to Prophet Mohammad that can be read in the Muslim’s holy Book; The Qur’an.
Ex. – القرآنُ هو الكتابُ المقدس عند المسلمين = The Qur’an is the holy book of the Muslims.
– (Note: N.=Noun /C.= Countable / U.= Uncountable / V.= Verb / Ph. V. = Phrasal Verb / Adj.= Adjective / Adv.= Adverb / Prep.=Preposition / Pl.= Plural).
Check us back soon
Peace سلام /salam/
Build vocabulary, practice pronunciation, and more with Transparent Language Online. Available anytime, anywhere, on any device.