Definite Nouns with (AL-) (الاسم المعرف بـ (الـ Posted by Fisal on Mar 21, 2011 in Arabic Language, Culture, Grammar, Pronunciation, Vocabulary
- As we discussed in a previous post that Definite nouns have SEVEN Types, today we are going to look closely at the second type of them.
(2) The definite Noun starting with Al- الاسم الذى يبدأ بـ الـ
- In Arabic, an indefinite noun can turn into a definite noun by adding the two letters prefix (AL) or (الـ ) or (ألف + لام) to the beginning if this noun.
- The Arabic (AL) or (الـ) is equal to the English definite article “the“.
|Indefinite Noun||Definite Noun with AL||Which Laam ??|
|The moon القمر
The book الكتاب
The school المدرسة
The teacher الأستاذ
The lawyer المحامى
The Lunar Laam
|The sun الشمس
The student الطالب
The tree الشجرة
The journey الرحلة
The Sky السماء
The player اللاعب
|The Solar Laam
Pronouncing the definite prefix (AL)
- The definite prefix “al, ال ” is not all the time pronounced as / al /.
- The “al, ال ” can be pronounced fully with the sound (L, ل ) clearly pronounced with the other sounds in the noun that follows and hence it is called “The Lunar Laam اللام القمرية “.
- Or the “al, ال ” is not pronounced fully as the (L, ل ) sound is dropped or assimilated by the following letter in the noun that follows and hence it is called “The Solar Laam اللام الشمسية “.
- When the noun starts with the Solar Laam, the letter that follows the /ل / sound is doubled (you apply a Shadda to it).
- “The Lunar (Sun) Laam” is named after the noun of “the moon القمر “.
- “The Solar (Sun) Laam” is named after the noun of “the sun الشمس “.
(1) The Lunar Laam Rule :
- Pronounce the Laam /ل / fully and clearly when it is followed by one of these letters:
( أ ب ج ح خ ع غ ف ق ك م هـ و ى )
OR you can memorize this phrase which contains all these letters :
( ابغ حجك و خف عقيمه ) = Seek your pilgrimage and fear spoiling it.
(2) The Solar Laam Rule :
- Drop the Laam /ل / if followed by one of these letters:
(ت ث د ذ ر ز س ش ص ض ط ظ ل ن )
Note (1) : When the Laam is dropped, the letters above are doubled (You apply a Shadda to them)
Note (2) : The Laam is dropped only in PRONUNCIATION but It is written all the time.
Next time, we will continue looking at Definite Demonstrative Nouns.
Check us back soon
Peace سلام /Salam/
Build vocabulary, practice pronunciation, and more with Transparent Language Online. Available anytime, anywhere, on any device.