UAE National Day 2015 Posted by Fisal on Dec 3, 2015 in Arabic Language, Culture, Pronunciation, Vocabulary
Ahlan, Arabic lovers! Yesterday, the Arabic version of Google participated in the wide celebrations of the UAE 44 National Day اليوم الوطني by changing the Google Doodle into the colors of the Emirati flag and sharing an image of Qasr Al-Hosn قصر الحصن as an “O”. Here is some brief information about the country.
Foundation & Government
- After the declaration of the United Kingdom’s withdrawal from its colonies in the middle East, the country was established on 2nd December, 1971 as a Federation of seven emirates; Abu Dhabi أبو ظبى (the capital), Ajman عجمان, Dubai دبى, Al-Fujairah الفجيرة, Ras Al-Khaimah رأس الخيمة, Al-Sharjah الشارقة and Umm Al-Quwain أم القيوين. Hence came the name of (دولة الامارات العربية المتحدة) the United Arab Emirates.
- Each emirate is governed by an absolute ruler (Sheikh شيخ). Those rulers (Sheikhs شيوخ) together, form the Federal Supreme Council مجلس الإتحاد الأعلى.
- One of those rulers (Sheikhs) is elected to be president of the whole country.
- The founder first president was Sheikh Zayed Bin Sultan Al-Nahyan الشيخ زايد بن سلطان آل نهيان.
- The current president is Sheik Kalifah Bin Zayed Al-Nahyan الشيخ خليفة بن زايد آل نهيان.
- The Prime Minister is Sheikh Muhammad Bin Rashid Al-Maktoum الشيخ محمد بن راشد آل مكتوم.
- The United Arab Emirates is located in the Middle East الشرق الأوسط and the Arabian Peninsula شبه الجزيرة العربية. It occupies a strategic location on the southern entrance to the Hormuz Strait مضيق هرمز which is a vital point for producing and transporting crude oil. It also overlooks the Arabian Gulf الخليج العربي.
- It borders with Oman عـُـمـان to the east and Saudi Arabia السعودية to the south. It also shares sea borders with Qatar قطر and Iran إيران.
- Abu Dhabi is the largest emirate with an 87 % of the country’s total area. Ajman is the smallest.
- Dubai has the largest natural harbor although other harbors have been dredged in other places.
- Numerous islands are found in the Arabian Gulf and some of them are still a subject for dispute with both Iran and Qatar.
- The desert area of Abu Dhabi has two important oases واحات with good reserves of underground water which makes them suitable for permanent settlements and cultivation.
Religion & Language
- Islam is the largest and official religion of the UAE. However, the government follows a tolerant policy towards other religions. Arabic is the official language. English is also widely spoken.
- UAE has the second largest economy إقتصاد in the gulf area after Saudi Arabia.
- Petroleum البترول and natural gas الغاز الطبيعي play the most important part in the economy of the country.
- Dubai has the smallest oil reserves so that it has depended on other resources like tourism السياحة.
- Dubai is the fifth most popular destination وجهة in the world.
- The UAE has the most advanced infrastructure بنية تحتية in the region.
- The UAE has a population of only 1.4 million Emirati citizens.
- There are about 8.7 million expatriates living and working in UAE.
Check us back Soon!
Peace ســلام /Salam/
Build vocabulary, practice pronunciation, and more with Transparent Language Online. Available anytime, anywhere, on any device.