How to say “almost” in Korean Posted by Soo on Jul 6, 2016 in Uncategorized
Today, you are going to learn how to say “Almost did something by accidently” in Korean. The grammar point is “V.S. + ㄹ/을 뻔하다/ eul bbeon ha da.” 을 is after the consonant ending and ㄹ is after the vowel ending. Please read examples below.
1. I almost died. 죽을 뻔했어요/ juk eul bbeon hat eo yo. (To die is 죽다)
2. I almost couldn’t go to the school. 학교에 못 갈 뻔했어요/ hak kyo ae moc gal bbeon hat eo yo. (To go is 가다)
3. I almost missed the bus. 버스를 놓칠 뻔 했어요/ bus lul noc chil bbeon hat eo yo. (To miss is 놓치다)
4. I almost got hit by a car today. 오늘 차에 치일 뻔했어요/ o nul cha ae chil bbeon hat eo yo. (To be hit by a car is 차에 치이다)
5. I almost fell in sleep. 잠이 들뻔 했어요/ jam e dul bbeon hat eo yo. (To be sleep is 잠이 들다)
** To sleep is 자다 – transitive verb which needs an object
*** To be sleep is 잠이 들다 – intransitive verb which doesn’t need an object
Build vocabulary, practice pronunciation, and more with Transparent Language Online. Available anytime, anywhere, on any device.