How To Learn Egyptian Arabic Posted by Fisal on Feb 24, 2016 in Arabic Language, Culture, Pronunciation, Vocabulary
Ahlan, Arabic lovers! In some previous posts, we discussed the dialect phenomenon that distinguishes the Arabic language and that may be a source of a continuous pain to most foreigners studying Arabic. Today, we are going to share some advice on how to learn the Egyptian dialect; how to talk like an Egyptian!
- If you are reading this post now, it may be useful for you to check back all our past posts about Dialectic Arabic:
Now, to answer the big question on how to learn Egyptian Arabic, here are some useful ways to pick up Egyptian Arabic quickly:
- Enroll in a study course: Whether you are a university student or not, you can always get enrolled in a formal program to study Arabic. Click here for a list of the 2015 best colleges offering Arabic programs. Make sure to check that the teacher is a native Egyptian. Some universities around the world offer Egyptian Arabic Courses and have some excellent programs. Try to learn about the culture from your teacher; as a native, he should be a culture expert.
- Grants, Fellowships and Study Abroad Programs: Many universities and organizations have study abroad programs. You can apply to any. Most of these programs bring their students to study Arabic at the American University in Cairo. Also, there is the excellent Fulbright Foreign Student Program that enables you to travel, teach your mother tongue and learn a foreign language. So, if you pick up Egypt as a destination, it would be a great chance for you to learn Egyptian Arabic.
- Enroll in an online course: This is a good choice if you don’t have access to face-to-face university program. Online Arabic courses are available from any place in the world. All you need is a computer and a good internet connection. There are so many institutions and companies that offer online Arabic courses. Some give a good free-trial experience like our company Transparent Language! There is also the Egyptian Arabic Course from memrise!
- The Internet: The internet has become a crucial part of our life. It has opened thousands of chances for learning. It is free and time-flexible! You can learn anytime and anywhere from the internet. YouTube channels, Facebook pages, and Language Blogs are amazing free resources for learning Arabic. They are rich and fast ways to pick up any language.
- Radio and Television: Egyptian Arabic is excellent for learning spoken Arabic. Radio and Television can be a great way to pick up the Egyptian dialect. You can watch and listen to a variety of programs, films, songs, news and daily shows.
- Books and Magazines: There is a great deal of written materials, e.g. newspapers and magazines that are published in Egyptian Arabic. Some famous writers, like Naguib Mahfouz, have some literature works in the Egyptian dialect.
- Get an Egyptian Friend: Wherever you live, you can always find an Egyptian friend or family. Try to make the best use of this friendship. It is a great chance to practice, ask and learn the Egyptian dialect. Even an online friend for an hour chat in Arabic would be a great help. Get social in the social media age!
- Visit Egypt: Whether it is for business, study or entertainment, it is always the best way to immerse yourself in the culture and acquire the dialect in no time. It gives you a direct concentrated dose!
Check us back Soon!
Peace ســلام /Salam/
Build vocabulary, practice pronunciation, and more with Transparent Language Online. Available anytime, anywhere, on any device.