German Language Blog

German Vocabulary around the House Part 2 Posted by on Feb 22, 2016 in Language


I’m carrying on from my last post and listing Gegenstände (objects) around the house. In this post I’ll be writing about das Schlafzimmer, das Gästezimmer, das Esszimmer and die Küche. If you missed the start of this topic you can find the post here.

Gegenstände die im Schlafzimmer sind:

Objects that are in the bedroom:

das Bett                                                                               The bed

die Kommode                                            The dresser/chest of drawers

der Spiegel                                                                       The mirror

der (die) Vorha(ä)ng(e)                                                 The curtain(s)

der Kleiderschrank                                                          The wardrobe

die Bettwäsche                                                                The bed linen

das (die) Kissen                                                            The cushion(s)

das Kopfkissen                                                              The pillow

der (die) Nachttisch(e)                                                The bedside table(s)


Photo by Laura D’Alessandro on Flickr (CC by 2.0)

Gegenstände die im Gästezimmer sind:

Objects that are in the guestroom:

das (die) Bett(en)                                                            The bed(s)

der Schreibtisch                                                               The desk

die Blumen                                                                        The flowers

das Regal                                                                         The shelf

die Heizung                                                                       The heater/radiator


Gegenstände die im Esszimmer sind:

Objects that are in the dining room:

der Esstisch                                                                   The dining table

der (die) Stu(ü)hle                                                            The chair(s)

die Vitrine                                                                          The glass cabinet

die Tischdecke                                                                  The table cloth

der Tischläufer            The table cloth (a narrow cloth that runs down the middle of the table)

die Obstschale                                                                  The fruit bowl

der (die) Teller                                                                 The plate(s)

die Gabel(n)                                                                      The fork(s)

das (die) Messer                                                              The knife(s)

der (die) Löffel                                                                 The spoon(s)

das (die) Gla(ä)s(er)                                                       The glass(es)

das (die) Weingla(ä)s(er)                                            The wine glass(es)

die Serviette(n)                                                                  The napkin(s)


Gegenstände die in der Küche sind:

Objects that are in the kitchen:

der Ofen                                                                              The oven

der Herd                                                                              The hob

das Waschbecken                                                              The sink

die Spülmaschine                                                              The dishwasher

die Mikrowelle                                                                   The microwave

der (die) Küchenschra(ä)nk(e)                                         The cupboard

der Kühlschrank                                                               The fridge

der Mülleimer                                                                        The bin

der Topf                                                                               The pot

die Pfanne                                                                          The pan

Photo by Bill Wilson on Flickr (CC by 2.0)

Don’t forget to write the German words on a post it note and stick them on the right objects around your house!

I hope this post helps you widen your vocabulary,

bis zum nächsten Mal!


Tags: , , , , , ,
Keep learning German with us!

Build vocabulary, practice pronunciation, and more with Transparent Language Online. Available anytime, anywhere, on any device.

Try it Free Find it at your Library
Share this:
Pin it

About the Author: Larissa

Hello I'm Larissa. I live in Germany and I am half German and half English. I love sharing my passion for Germany with you through my posts! Apart from writing posts I teach fitness classes in Munich.


  1. Jon:

    Das Kissen is the pillow. It would be highly eccentric to use “cushion” for the object one sleeps with. In the USA, a cushion is a more three dimensional object with six distinct sides. In US English one would say, “Sally made new pillows to match the sofa cushions.” In the UK, a cushion can be a decorative pillow, but I don’t think they every refer to the thing one sleeps with as a cushion.

    Der tischläufer is simply the table runner.

    I am somewhat confused by the kitchen appliances. Der Herd is the entire unit, correct? It consists of der Ofen and die Herdplatte. Der Ofen is not used to refer to the entire unit, correct? Der Ofen also means the furnace in a house? (American for hob is, I believe, either the cook top or the burners. If you say the hob in the USA, you will get blank stares.

    Going back to your older post is die Zahncreme now preferable to die Zahnpasta? Is the later old-fashioned? Perhaps that is a subject for another post: Words you learned in German class that are either hopelessly old-fashion or never used by ordinary Germans.

    • Larissa:

      @Jon Hi Jon,

      Thanks for taking the time to comment! I actually meant cushions on the bed in a decorative way, but I will add “the pillow” into the post which would be “das Kopfkissen”.

      Der Herd doesn’t necessarily mean the oven and hob together. I double checked duden and it says “…und in die meist auch ein Backofen eingebaut ist”, meaning “and in most there is an in built oven”, however it doesn’t have to have one. As for furnace I suppose it does also translate to der Ofen, as the word furnace derives from a Greek word translating into oven as well! I have never heard anyone actually say that they heat their house using their oven though 🙂

      As far as I know there is no real difference between Zahncreme und Zahnpasta. I asked myself the same question whilst writing the post and although I researched it I didn’t really come to a conclusion why there are two words for toothpaste.

      Thanks again for the comment 🙂

  2. helen:

    great article, as always very helpful, thanks

  3. Volker:

    “Gegenstände die im Küche sind:” ist incorrect, “im” ist eine kurze Form für “in dem”. In diesem Fall muß man “in der” Küche sagen.
    Und the dishwasher needs an Umlaut: Spülmachine

    for what it’s worth.

    • Larissa:

      @Volker Hi Volker,

      I’ve edited the posts so they should be correct now. Thank you for making me aware of this 🙂

      I hope you enjoyed the post,

  4. yaldez Hashem:

    Vielen Dank, sehr interessant!

  5. Brightstar:

    What do you call the computer room in a house?