We’re proud to offer more than 100 languages, but English just might our most sought after language.
During the 2012-2013 school year, there were nearly 8 million English Language Learners (ELLs) enrolled in U.S. schools—nearly 10% of all students—and that population is not getting any smaller. Quite the contrary, actually; the ELL population has grown 60% in the last decade. School districts that have not previously served ELLs in the past find themselves facing a rising ELL population. While most concentrated in urban areas and border states like California, Arizona, and Texas, suburban and rural districts around the country are increasingly facing the challenge of providing for ELL students. Of course, we cannot forget the foreign born adults who also make up a large percentage of the ELL population.
Transparent Language Online works with educators and public librarians to bring language-learning opportunities to their communities. As their communities become increasingly diverse, we’ve worked hard to provide a greater breadth and depth of English as a Second Language (ESL) materials on our platform. All of our ESL courses can be used independently through self-guided learning, in a school or library computer lab, or with an instructor in the flipped classroom model.
ESL teachers, public libraries, and individuals who subscribe to Transparent Language Online can look forward to learning with the following:
- The Essentials Series: 30+ hours of English learning organized into 33 engaging lessons that revolve around common situations including getting around a new city, dealing with emergencies, or going out to eat. Best for beginner or low-intermediate learners, English Essentials is available as a paired language course with 10 foreign languages.
- Vocabulary Lessons: Available for speakers of 25 other languages, these paired language vocabulary lessons introduce more than 2,000 words and phrases covering a range of thematic topics from adjectives and verbs to animals and weather terms.
- Intermediate English: For intermediate-level English learners, this course leverages a series of authentic dialogues that will prepare learners for life in an English-speaking country. 39 skill-building, conversational lessons focus on 10 themes, including landing a job and finding a home. This is an immersion style course, available only in English (with no paired languages).
- English in Context: There will always be something fresh to learn thanks to these new monthly lessons covering a variety of topics, from science and technology to current events and American culture. These lessons are made for intermediate and advanced learners, as they draw upon existing English knowledge and the use of contextual clues to learn new vocab and grammar concepts.
- Conversations in English: Another dialogue-based course for intermediate, this extensive 27 unit course challenges learners to a higher level of reading comprehension and speaking abilities. The units are organized around 15 day-to-day themes such as going to the gym or shopping at the grocery store and include a dialogue, grammar topic, and vocabulary selection. This course is a full-immersion English course with no paired languages.
- Advanced Conversations in English: The Advanced Conversations in English courses are the most advanced materials among our English offerings. They were created for advanced English learners, from high school to professionals, who are interested in business and medical topics and want to work with more complex texts, speech patterns, and cultural nuances. Learners will be exposed to and asked to interact with business language in the form of reports, presentations, negotiations, telephone conversations, emails, blogs, websites, and more within three main topics: Medical, Finance, and Sales & Marketing.
- Business English: 100+ lessons covering practical business topics will get English learners off on the right foot in their new career. Business English is available as a paired language course for speakers of Spanish, Mandarin, and Turkish.
- Elementary Conversations in English: This 3-level, 30-unit course is designed specifically for elementary students in grades 3-5. Each unit contains 2 lessons: one grammar-focused and one conversation- and culture-focused. The course includes 30 original conversations and 30 sets of relevant, kid-appropriate grammar activities. It also includes 18 culture topics and 1600 lexical items. A paired Spanish version is also available, which includes an additional 5-6 lessons per unit focusing on basic English vocabulary.
Find a library near you that offers Transparent Language Online. None close by? Print this info card and bring it to your local librarians to let them know you’re interested, or sign up for the free trial!